CalVen deploys a set of screening criteria to assure capital placements in the best opportunities it encounters, including:
- Management - Competent and ethical founders with significant stakes vested in the success of the enterprise.
- Team - Demonstrable ability of the company staff of share a dynamic vision and work together to achieve difficult objectives.
- Market Penetration - Ability to achieve sales objectives and establish greater than 25% market-share in key segment(s) of expansive markets.
- Projected Sales - Projected sales by the fifth year should exceed $50 million.
- Technology - Proprietary technology, or significant demonstrated market leadership to limit competition.
- Stage of Development - Start-up through Mezzanine Stage.
- Structure of Investment – Debt and/or equity
- Exit Strategy - M&A or IPO ; must be pre-defined and validated by examples.
- Other Qualification - Investees must complete Consortium Innovation Centers' 2-stage Success Formulas® process as an adjunct criterion to CalVen due diligence.